Whitelock History

Read or Post Topics of interest to you right here

Moderator: ready2sail

Whitelock History

Postby Kim Massey on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi Mike, I was wondering if the 50ft Family Tree has some info that might be useful to me. I am wondering , from whom did the whitelock come from as far back that we know. My mother said that we all could be traced to Jacob Springer 1801-1878 who married Anna Catherine Whittekiend. So was it one of them? I am not clear when the whitelock came into play. I am working on the Springer Coat of Arms and redrawing it and painting it to make prints. I had to translate the Blazon for the coat of arms which is no laughing matter. Anyhow, I would like to try to go back a little further in the Springer History if I can. It would be a miracle to trace all the way back to the Springer of Autriche clan! Anyhow if you have any pertinent info like where Jacob and Anna Catherine were from or anything about them. I have all of their childrens names and the lineage from them but as far as I know the trail back stopped with Jacob and Anna. Well let me know if you have anything. Thanks kim :D
Kim Massey

Re: Our Whitelock History

Postby ready2sail on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:30 pm

Kim,
That coat of arms sounds like quite a project. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Regarding the whitelock, here is as far back as I now know:

It came to the Springers fairly recently, only when the 3 Stowell girls married the 3 Springer boys. Lena Stowell (Dabu) and at least 1 other sister Ruth Gladys Stowell had the whitelock. I am not sure if Jessie Inez Stowell had it or not. She was the 3rd sister to marry a Springer boy. If you know any of her decendents have it, then of course she did too. They also had a brother Ernest Schuyler Stowell and a sister Alma Francis Stowell who may or may not have had it. If you know of any of their decendents having it, please let me know. I am trying to trace as wide and as far back as I can. Dabu once told us they got it from their father, Charles Hammond Stowell, but she wasn't sure from which of his parents he got it. So the first Springers (I know of) to be born with a whitelock were my Grandma Cecil(1909) and your Grandpa Wally(1910). If any of the Heldts have the whitelock, then Marjorie Arnette Springer (1908), a daughter of Ruth Gladys (Stowell)Springer, would have the distinction of being the first Springer born with a whitelock.

Prior to the reunion, I only knew her as Dabu, not Lena (Stowell)Springer, and that was about as far back as I knew on either side of my tree. So yes the 50ft tree has come in very handy! It needs updating on the current generations, but it has been most helpful on the roots of the tree.

It doesn't help tracing Springer line or whitelock back any farther. It does show Anna Catherine's parents to be a Martha ?(1790-?) and Tobias Wittekiend(1790-?)

On the other hand, at the reunion Uncle Frank gave me a tree tracing the Stowell line clear back to 1520! And if you think about it, you are as much a Stowell as a Springer. I'll send you a copy if you like.

That's about all I can come up with tonite. Let me know if you have any more whitelock knowledge.

Thanks,
Mike

Kim Massey wrote:Hi Mike, I was wondering if the 50ft Family Tree has some info that might be useful to me. I am wondering , from whom did the whitelock come from as far back that we know. My mother said that we all could be traced to Jacob Springer 1801-1878 who married Anna Catherine Whittekiend. So was it one of them? I am not clear when the whitelock came into play. I am working on the Springer Coat of Arms and redrawing it and painting it to make prints. I had to translate the Blazon for the coat of arms which is no laughing matter. Anyhow, I would like to try to go back a little further in the Springer History if I can. It would be a miracle to trace all the way back to the Springer of Autriche clan! Anyhow if you have any pertinent info like where Jacob and Anna Catherine were from or anything about them. I have all of their childrens names and the lineage from them but as far as I know the trail back stopped with Jacob and Anna. Well let me know if you have anything. Thanks kim :D
ready2sail
Site Admin

Postby Danman007 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:47 am

Hi,
My mothers aunt Rachael Peterson (who was a Springer girl too) did a search about ten years ago. She had gathered a lot of information from her sisters and cousins who are no longer with us today. She told me a long story of the begining of the whitelock. She also traced it back to the surname of Stowell. Part of the story was that the whitelock originated in Scottland under the Stowell name. Then we as Springers thought always thought it was originated by Springers. I thought it was interesting, because a couple years after that I was at the Mall of America with my daughter on my shoulders. We were both diplaying our whitelocks, and a lady came up to me and said "Wow, she has the Lucky lock too!" "My sister has one". I have become acustomed to that and didn't pay too much attention too her. I told her ours wasn't a birthmark but hereditary. She said her sisters was too. Then I was a little more interested. I asked her if her last name was Springer. She said "no, our maiden name was Stowell". So I think there is a lost branch of whitelocks out there that aren't Springers.
Danman007

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:34 pm

Great Mike, I appreciate the info. Yes please send me a copy. I would really appreciate it. I really like to story by Danman too about meeting the ladies in the Mall of America! Wow, that is totally amazing! I get freaked out when I meet someone from wyo. down here in Texas. I have yet to meet another person with the whitelock though. I have met dozens of people with vitiligo and a handful of people with a white patch on the Side of their heads(they all happed to be of Mexican heritage).
Maybe we will find those long lost Stowell ladies sometime!
Gotta Go for now. kim :D

Postby Kim Massey on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 pm

woops, I guess I wasn't logged in. It posted me as a guest! Oh well you know who I am! Kim :oops:
Kim Massey

whitelock ancestry

Postby ready2sail on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:51 pm

I agree Kim, that is a cool story by Danman. Never heard it called the "Lucky lock" before.

Hey Danman, do you know if your mom's Aunt Racheal had the whitelock too?

If there is any way you could get ahold of her research, I would love to have a copy of it.

Kim, I'll get the Stowell and Springer trees copied and off to you soon.

L8r
Mike
ready2sail
Site Admin

Postby Danman007 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Mike and Kim,
Rachel (I hope I'm spelling that right) was a whitelock. I don't know where her research came from. For some reason I keep thinking it was through the mormons somehow though? I really don't know. I just remember some of her stories. I'll ask my mom if she would know where she may have researched it. Maybe her research was passed on to one of her children. Allthough I don't think she told too many. She said she was embarassed. She thought the white lock came to America from Scottland from an ancestor who had performed some criminal act in Scottland and had the choice of going to the dungeons, or the New land.

Thanks,
Dan
Danman007

Postby Kim Massey on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Danman,
You know the stories in reference to Scottish Heritage seem to keep coming up, However I always heard that it was a Scottish King or Nobility. I think every family says they come from Nobility right? Wink Wink nudge nudge. I have never heard of the criminal story.
Kim Massey

Return to Main Forum Topic List