Actinic Keratosis on piebald skin

Read or Post Topics of interest to you right here

Moderator: ready2sail

What treatment has worked the best for your AKs?

Freezing
No votes
Efudex
No votes
SunSpotEX
No votes
Aldera
No votes
Blue-U rays
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 1

Actinic Keratosis on piebald skin

Postby ready2sail on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:38 am

Actinic Keratosis are small scaly plaques of dead skin that occur to sun-damaged skin. They eventually tend to slough off as a scab would. As they get worse they tend not to slough off as readily, and some of mine have built up like a callous. They are considered pre-cancerous, so it would behoove you all to keep a close eye out for them. Where the piebald skin on my arms has been repeatedly severely sunburned over the years, I started to develop many of these AKs. Ive had several different treatments for these: first freezing, then Efudex, then SunspotEX, and then Aldera each semed to work to some degree for a while on the increasingly stubborn plaques, but other AKs have returned and been even more stubborn to remove. My latest treatments have been with BLue-U rays at UCSD Med Ctr. The treatment itself is rather uncomfortable, but the results seem promising. A chemical is placed on the skin which is soaked up more readily by the sun damaged cells than the healthy ones. the area is incubated for a period of 1-4 hrs to allow this penetration into AK cells. Then the area is subjected to intense ultraviolet light (Blue-U ray) for the longest 17 minutes of your life. This somehow reacts with the chemical to kill the damaged cells. You'll be all too ready for the light session to be over. It feels HOT! I'm told the treatment is generally done to face and head, but I can't imagine what that would feel like. I'm just glad my AKs are on my arms than on my face. I've had 2 treatments so far. The first only incubated for an hour and had so-so results. the second was incubated for 4 hrs, and killed off some very thick and stubborn AKs. Hopefully my third session (in April) will get the rest. I'll keep you all posted.

Mike R
ready2sail
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum Topic List