New to the site...

Read or Post Topics of interest to you right here

Moderator: ready2sail

New to the site...

Postby VeeGee112 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi everyone - I stumbled across this site - by looking at the Springer Family Reunion website. My name is Vicki Gagliardi and I'm from NY. My father found the article today in Life which showed the pictures of you all! Anyway, my family has the exact same thing. It's very weird. We can trace it back to my great grandfather who was from Naples. Probably sometime in the 1800's. My father's father had 13 children and they had children and so on... my point being, there are a ton of us who have the white hair and skin pigmentation. I never knew how widespread this was. I'm really enjoying reading everything here!
VeeGee112

Welcome Vickie!

Postby ready2sail on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:43 pm

I knew that Life article would get us some new members. Make yourself at home. Contribute as much information as you'd like. We are just getting started. Kind of rushed the opening of the site to coincide with the reunion due to the coverage by Life. But it will grow, both in members and data. We are trying to link up various family trees and see what common ancestors we have out there. I'd heard of whitelocks in Ireland and England and Scotland, but that's pretty cool that we're in Italy too. :D Please spread the word among your family; I'm looking forward to an international membership! And let me know if there is anything you want to see on the site. We are still designing, so all ideas are welcome.

Mike Reilly
ready2sail
Site Admin

Postby Christine S on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:19 am

Today is my first time on the site. I also saw the article in Life. My husband pointed it out because he said the picture of Mary Springer looked like me when I was younger. I am also from New York. I live on Long Island. In my family we call it 'the spot'. I'm the last person to get it in 36 years. My father had it, his mother & brothers, a few of his cousins, and so on. My grandmother was also born in Naples. Her maiden name was Mascaro and she married a Selario, which is my maiden name. My siblings don't have the birthmark. I have the most anyone in my family has ever had. I guess since it took 36 years for someone to get it I got it for everyone. In my generation, I am the only cousin to have it. None of my father's siblings' children have it. I don't have kids yet, so who knows? There may be some more of us.

IT's nice to know there are so many of us. I never knew there was a real diagnosis for it and even now doctors ask me about ut because they have no idea what it is. It would be great to find out if I was actually related to some of you.
Christine S

Postby Danman007 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am

Hi Vicki and Christine,
Nice pictures that you added Christine. You do have the "Lucky lock" as I prefer to call it. From what I know about it, in our family it is only passed directly to our offspring. It will never skip a generation. I inherited mine from my mother. She has a twin brother who didn't have the Lucky lock. None of his four kids ever got it, And none of their kids will ever get it and so on. It must work the same way in your family too. I guess we will have to wait until you have your kids to find out. :D It's interesting that both of you are from New York. Have you ever by chance met or heard of each other? I meet a lot of of people around here and I constantly hear "My Cousin or sisters friend has a birthmark like that too!" I am interested if you are related to us in some way too. Welcome!!!
Danman007

Wow, 2 members with ancestors from Naples

Postby ready2sail on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:18 pm

That is too coincidental in my book. I'd bet Christine and Vicki are related somehow. We're all probably related to some degree, but my money would be on Vicki to be Chrisitine's closest connection here. You two should compare family trees.

L8r,
Mike
ready2sail
Site Admin

Postby Laurasstripes on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:07 pm

:D Thank Goodness I've found you all! I've been waiting for a site like this forever. My family from Wisconsin and Illinois has it. I was told my Grandfather Hamburg's parents came from Hanover Germany with this trait. I've seen only two other piebald humans in this city that were not related to me. My mother told me that they had some kind of Piebald festival in Sweden where regular folks would paint their skin to match people with the trait. Anybody hear of this? I have three children with it and I'm so happy that there is a site like this!
Laurasstripes

Welcome Laura

Postby ready2sail on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Welcome aboard Laura! Help us grow - spread the word to your family.

Feel free to chime in on any of the forums, or email me with any suggestions or comments. We are always looking for material to post, so if you have any related info or stories about the whitelock, let me know. We are glad to post any pics too. It just takes me a little while to get them on the site sometimes, as my webmaster son is often very busy.

I had never heard of the festival in Sweden. There must be quite a few folks with it there, if they even have a festival for it. I'd like to find out more about that.

If you ever care to compare genealogies, I have a fairly extensive family tree of the Springer family. We got the whitelock from the Stowell family back in the 1800s. Eventually we will have this available online, to see if we can connect family trees with the whitelock. Who knows, we are all probably distant cousins.

Great to hear from you.
Mike Reilly
ready2sail
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum Topic List